CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Traveling Tuesday

Well, as they say, what a difference a day makes. The new antibiotic that Mike was put on Monday morning made a world of difference! The bright red on his leg has subsided greatly and the part that is red is only warm to the touch rather than burning hot. His temperature and white cell count have been stable for the past several days and Kaiser has determined he now only needs minimal nursing care.

So, today he was transferred via ambulance to King City Rehabilitation and Living Center. The current plan is that he will continue his IV antibiotics and oral pain medication through the 23rd with a tentative release date of Christmas Eve, the 24th. Before we agreed to the transfer, I went and checked out the facility to ensure they had all the necessary things for a big guy like Mike -- an appropriate-sized bed, big-boy "gowns" and the like. While it will not be like Hotel Kaiser, I think it should meet his needs for the short-term. And, if we need something, we'll ask.

I know the first thing he needs is a new phone. I ran into car, or rather tire, trouble while travelling from Kaiser to King City and tried to call Mike. However, his new room phone is broken and the other phone in the room wouldn't reach, so I think it was CNA that relayed the basics. I'm writing from Les Schwab's waiting area right now, waiting for the diagnosis of new tires or new tires AND brakes being necessary for Mike's van to be safe to drive. I like to play Pollyanna's Thanksfulness Game sometimes --- today, I'm thankful that the tire went flat during the day in a school zone rather than at 10pm on the highway. I'm also thankful that Les Schwab has free road-side assistance and they were pretty fast, too - OK, Kathy's follow-up phone call probably was a big help, too, relaying the sense of urgency I had inside but did not tell the nice dispatcher.

We had several wonderful visitors -- Kathy Morrissey and Pastor Jason Dick from church brought surprises and good cheer, along with a secret package that Mike conspired with Pastor Carr to get under the tree for me (I won't peek - promise). Carla and Herb Matter dropped by with a little Christmas tree and lots of upbeat conversation, plus Candie from TriMet came just before Mike was transferred. That means so much to him.

Oh, I almost forgot that Mike told me I need to put a medical disclaimer on this blog. I got the medical terminology wrong .... it's fash-ee-i-tus or something or other, not cellular necrosis. Whatever ... cells were dying is all I know.

One big request: In addition to good thoughts and prayers, if you have a minute, please drop Mike a get well card. I think that would really brighten his day, and I will check the post office box regularly.

Mike Halligan
PO Box 1326
Tualatin OR 97062

Blessings,
Shawnee

PS- Well, I guess it needs to be the cheaper tires ... we DO need brakes and probably an alignment, too.

0 comments: